Ingredients: Organic Haritaki Fruit Powder (Terminalia chebula)
Country of origin: India
Directions to use: Mix ¼ to ½ teaspoon Haritaki powder with warm water and take once or twice daily, or as directed by your health practitioner.
Did you know?
Haritaki or Harada (Terminalia chebula) is also called the Tibetan “king of medicine”.
Haritaki is the fruit of the tree, which is native to India, Nepal, Indonesia and other parts of Asia.
Haritaki has a mixture of 5 tastes: sweet, sour, pungent, bitter and astringent.
Haritaki is believed to balance all doshas (substances/bio-elements), especially vata.
Health Benefits of Haritaki include:
- Improved Digestion and Better Gastrointestinal Health: Haritaki strengthens the intestinal muscles to contract more efficiently, which speeds up bowel movement. It also supports a healthy intestinal environment and increases nutrient absorption. As a mild laxative Haritaki aids in cleaning and detoxifying the colon as well as prevent constipation.
- Helps to guard against ulcers: Haritaki elevates protective mucus production in the stomach and thereby decreases excessive stomach acid and protecting against ulcers.
- Aid Weight-loss and Detoxification: With improved digestion and the better nutrient absorptions, cravings and hunger are kept in check. Elimination of constipation and toxins in the colon decreases the toxic load on the liver – a common cause of difficulty losing weight.
- High in Antioxidants: Haritaki is a rich source of antioxidants such as ellagic acid, gallic acid, chebulic acid, flavonol glycosides, selenium and vitamin C, that helps fight oxidative stress and may protect against age-related diseases.
- Antibacterial, Antiviral and Antifungal Properties: Dried Haritaki fruit boasts strong antibacterial and antiviral properties for preventing infection. Its antifungal properties combined with digestive health benefits may also aid the in the treatment of Candida and other fungal infections in the body.
- Help Fight Mouth Ulcers and Gum Disease: In traditional Indian medicine, a mouthwash made from crushed, dried Haritaki fruit boiled in water and cooled, is swirled around the mouth several times a day to quickly alleviate ulcers. Regular use is also believed to help prevent dental decay. This can also be done with Haritaki Powder.
- May assist with Insulin resistance: Compounds in Haritaki have been found to lower blood sugar levels and increase insulin sensitivity. However patients on glucose lowering medication should discuss the use of Haritaki with their health care practitioner.
- Helps to treat acne and skin irritations: A paste made from Haritaki powder and hot water can be applied to problem skin. Make sure to let the paste cool down before using. High antioxidant value makes Haritaki a great supplement for skin health
- Fight Hair Loss and dandruff: A paste made from Haritaki and Extra Virgin Coconut oil can be used for the treatment of hair loss or dandruff. Just as with the skin, hair growth will benefit from taking Haritaki as a daily dietary supplement.