Suitable for all skin types
Ingredients: Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil*, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter*, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Isoamyl Laurate, Sclerocarya Birrea (Marula) Seed Oil, Lactobacillus, Tocopherol, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Vanillin, Gamma Decalactone
Directions to use: Apply a small amount to the skin twice daily before moisturising.
Esse Plus range:
Every few decades, a scientific discovery is made that change the way that we see ourselves and the world around us. The latest discoveries made by the Human Microbiome Project have remodeled our approach to skincare and offer us new methodologies to slow the effects of ageing on skin. The advances in genetic sequencing over the last 10 years have allowed scientists to distinguish human DNA from that of other organisms. The results are revolutionizing the thinking on human health and, more importantly, they’ve changed our sense of self. The Human Microbiome Project has discovered that optimal skin health is dependent on the presence of trillions of microbes living on, and in, your skin.
Each one of us is a complex ecosystem – a harmonious mix of human cells and microbes. By weight, 46% of the DNA in your body is human. The remaining 54% is microbial. By number, for every human cell there are 10 microbes in your body. These microbes are an essential part of you and contribute to your identity.
The Human Microbiome Project has revealed that highly complex microbial interactions are prevalent in the skin and have revolutionised Esse’s views on skincare.
Microbes are largely responsible for the condition of your skin. They defend and protect the skin from pathogens, they maintain effective barrier function, and they prevent premature ageing. The skin, as an ecosystem, is healthy when resident microbial populations are robust, diverse and in balance.
The majority of skin disorders can now be linked to disruptions in the skin microbiome with accelerated ageing being no exception.
Esse Plus concept includes:
Prebiotic Nutrition – prebiotics are used to selectively feed beneficial microbes so they can out-compete pro-ageing species. This gives you a diverse and stable skin microbiome that results in improved barrier function and moisture retention
Probiotic Supplementation – probiotic microbes are added to key products to improve barrier function and slow aging process. Live probiotics and probiotic extracts actively shape the microbial populations in and on the skin. This optimises skin health and slows the ageing process, resulting in firmer, fuller skin and a strong anti-wrinkle effect.
pH Balance – Maintaining the natural pH balance in the skin is vital to optimize the microbial environment. All Esse products are balanced at ideal pH of 5.
Certified organic – organic products hold no toxins or chemicals that disrupt the balance of your skin’s microbiome.
Esse believe is that nature offers us all that we need to produce the most effective skincare products in the world!
- Probiotics – Several Lactobacillus species (and their extracts) are used in the range. The Probiotic Serum uses live Lactobacillus species and this has the highest impact on the skin’s microbiome. Some products contain probiotic cells that are still whole and able to dock into the binding sites on keratinocytes, but are no longer alive. The metabolites in the fermentation “broth” are also included. The key effect is to stimulate a beneficial response from your skin – it increases β –defensin production and improves tight junction function. In other products the Lactobacillus cells have been deliberately broken. The resultant extract has an ability to shift the types of microbial populations on your skin because it has a damaging effect on opportunistic microbes.
- Kigelia extract – Wild-harvested Kigelia is added for a stronger firming effect and boosted anti-ageing. Results are seen after two weeks of continuous use.
- Low Molecular Mass Hyaluronic Acid – The HA levels in this product line are exceptionally high to produce the maximum hydrating and anti-wrinkle effect for your skin.
- Devil’s Claw extract – Exclusive to the Esse Plus line, Devil’s Claw is a desert plant that is harvested from the Kalahari in Namibia. It is one of the most potent inflammatory modulators in the plant kingdom, dramatically slowing the ageing process while protecting collagen and elastin, the building blocks for youthful skin.
- Mafane extract (Acmella Oleracea) – This extract has a powerful myorelaxing effect – it relaxes muscle so that wrinkles soften over the course of one to two hours. Over time, with continuous use, wrinkle depth decreases and there is a smoothing effect on the skin.
- Concentrated extract of Pfaffia paniculata (Pfaffia), Marapuama (Ptychopetalum olacoides), and Lilium candidum (White Lily) – This powerful combination extract is standardized for saponins and flavonoids. It primarily has a lightning and smoothing effect. This combination also reduces puffiness and firms your skin by improving elasticity, particularly around the eye, but it is effective on all skin. Its effects are seen in around 25 days.
- Albizia julibrissin extract – This extract lifts the upper eyelid, reduces crow’s feet, and diminishes puffiness. It has been shown to improve collagen synthesis by 256% and elastin synthesis by 229%, helping to prevent the rupture of capillaries in the fragile networks below the eye. It also improves the appearance of wrinkles around the eye by between 14% and 33% in two weeks.
Note: Online sales are open for customers residing in South Africa only.