Ingredients: 1 : 4 Dual extract
Directions to use: Take 2-5ml tincture per day. Only take for up to 3 weeks, then take a break of at least 2 weeks before resuming again.
Warning: Do not use during pregnancy.
More about Usnea:
There are approximately 600 species of Usnea – but the two used in African Forest Medicinals are Usnea barbata and Usnea longissima. Usnea’s active constituents are Usnic acid and Diffractaic acid (with most benefits coming from the usnic acid) – as well as immune-modulating polysaccharides.
Usnea’s healing properties are unlocked by a combination of a hot water extraction (immune-modulating, tumour-fighting polysaccharides) and warm alcohol (the anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal usnic acid) extraction. This dual extraction tincture provides the full spectrum of its beneficial nutrients and active constituents.
Health benefits of Usnea:
- Powerful Antibiotic: Usnea is especially effective against gram-positive bacteria such as Streptococcus, Staphylococcus, Mycobacterium tubercolosis, pneumococcus, Helicobacter pylori, E. coli, Yersinia enterocolitica and Proteus mirabilis.
- Anti-Fungal, Anti-Viral, Anti-Tumour: As well as being powerfully anti-bacterial, Usnea is also anti-fungal, anti-viral, anti-tumour and a demulcent and expectorant to boot. Usnea is effective against several types of yeasts as well as several Candida species. It has proven to be successful in treating Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV), herpes simplex, polyomavirus (a tumour virus), Junin virus and Tacaribe virus. And it is active against a number of cancer cell lines – lung and breast, malignant mesothelioma cells and vulvar carcinoma cells.
- Immune-Modulating: Usnea is a cross between an algae and a fungus (5% algae, 95% fungus) and contains immune-modulating polysaccharides – as with all medicinal polypore mushrooms.
- Lung & Breast Medicine: Usnea is used to treat acute/chronic lung infections – and as always, nature gives us a clue to this – look at Usnea growing, it looks like a lung! It also only grows in high oxygen areas – so if you find Usnea growing somewhere, that says a lot about the high air quality in that area. The Usnea for our tincture is harvested from the pristine Knysna Forest here in South Africa.
- As mentioned above, Usnea is also effective against lung and breast cancer (again, with the breasts, the appearance of Usnea is similar to the lymph network in the breast – Doctrine of Signatures at work again!)
- Other Uses: Usnea can be used to treat vaginal and urinary tract infections. It can be used in the form of eyedrops to cure conjunctivitis – but would have to be sufficiently diluted to do this and, as yet, we have been unable to find any recommended ratio for this. Usnea is also an analgesic. It can also be used topically as a compress to stop bleeding and infection (useful bushcraft to know when out and about!)