Ingredients: 100% pure raw Spirulina powder. It is grown and processed under the strictest quality control standards and is free from pesticides, herbicides, GMOs and any additives.
How to use it: Spirulina has a unique, strong, salty taste, which some find unpleasant.The powder is therefore best mixed with your favourite smoothie or fresh juice. Start with 1/2 a teaspoon and gradually build up to 1-2 teaspoons of Spirulina powder daily.
A recommended minimum dose is 3g and should be eaten daily for maintenance.
More about Spirulina:
Spirulina platensis is a blue-green algae, which occurs naturally in the highly alkaline volcanic lakes of Africa and Mexico. This 3,5 billion-year-old organism has emerged as one of the most complete sources of nutrition on earth, because it has the remarkable ability to convert sun energy into vital substances! Spirulina contains a phenomenal combination of protein, vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids, phytonutrients and antioxidants.
The name Spirulina is derived from the Latin word for helix or spiral, referring to the physical configuration of the organism when it forms swirling, microscopic strands
Benefits of eating Spirulina:
The freshly harvested algae is dried at low temperature(below 42C), which ensures that heat sensitive vitamins and carotenoids are well preserved.
- Protein – Spirulina has the highest protein content of any natural food. Our Spirulina contains between 65 and 70% protein. This is 270% more protein than fish, 334% more than beef and 556% more than tofu. Spirulina provides all the essential amino acids and is therefore considered a complete protein. With regards to usable protein (as a percentage of the foods composition), Spirulina is second only to whole, dried eggs. Furthermore, protein from Spirulina is easily digestible due to the organisms cell wall being free from cellulose and 85 95% digestible. This is especially beneficial to those individuals who have difficulty digesting complex proteins and those that suffer from intestinal malabsorption.
- Vitamins – Spirulina contains both water and fat soluble vitamins and is a rich source of Vitamin B12, containing 118% more than raw beef liver. The Vitamin-B complex consists of the following vitamins: B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7, B9 and B12, all present in the Spirulina matrix. Most of these vitamins play a vital role in releasing energy from food and maintaining a healthy nervous system.
- Minerals – Superfoods Spirulina contains various trace minerals and provides 475% more calcium than whole milk and 5756% more iron than spinach. Spirulina is the best natural iron supplement available and has been shown to correct anaemia, increase blood haemoglobin content and increase iron reserves. Iron from Spirulina is more than twice as absorbable as the form of iron found in most meats and vegetables.
- Healing Pigments:
– Chlorophyll is the green pigment in Spirulina, and aids in cleansing and detoxifying the body. It is referred to as Green Blood due to its striking resemblance to human haemoglobin. Superfoods Spirulina provides 30 mg Chlorophyll per daily dosage of 3 grams.
– Phycocyanin is a naturally occurring, brilliant blue pigment in Spirulina, and stimulates blood production which in turn strengthens the immune system. It is also a potent antioxidant, protecting the body against DNA damage and premature aging. Our Spirulina provides 345 mg of Phycocyanin per daily dose of 3 grams.
- Essential fatty acids – Gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) is an essential fatty acid, part of the Omega-6 group, which can only be obtained by consumption of vegetarian foods like Spirulina. GLA promotes cholesterol normalization. Spirulina is concentrated in GLA. A daily dose of 3 grams Spirulina provides 55 mg of essential fatty acids, 30 mg in the form of Linoleic acid and 25 mg in the form of GLA. Other dietary sources of GLA include Mothers milk and oil extracts of black current, borage seeds and evening primrose. GLA comprises up to 20% of the lipid fraction of Spirulina, compared to 9% for evening primrose oil.
- Polysaccharides – Calcium-Spirulan is a water-soluble polysaccharide unique to Spirulina. This
polymerized sugar molecule contains both sulphur and calcium. Calcium-Spirulan has been shown to inhibit the replication of life-threatening viruses such as HIV-1. By inhibiting viral penetration of the cell it renders the virus vulnerable to the hosts immune system leaving it unable to replicate.
- Superoxide Dismutase – The enzyme Superoxide Dismutase (SOD) is a true natural antioxidant which removes excess superoxide free radicals, known to be responsible for cell oxidation which leads to DNA damage, cancer and premature aging. Our Spirulina contains large quantities of SOD, providing 10605 units per daily dose of 3 grams.
- Antioxidants – Spirulina contains a powerful combination antioxidants. Its ORAC value of 61900 makes it one of the highest of any food!